Message/Thoughts for the day!

Thoughts for the day...enjoy! :)

"The Eskimos have 52 words for snow because it is so special to them; there ought to be as many for love!"

by Margaret Atwood quotes


Friday, April 08, 2011

En Succotz con mi Familia…

Friday, April 1, we all got dropped off at our host families. There are 5 healthy environment people staying in this little village of Suucotz. We are about a ten minute ride to the Guatemalan border and sits right along the Myopan River, where people go to relax and swim, gather water and wash clothes.  We also are about one mile to a Mayan Ruin called, Xunantunich, which I totally plan on visiting while I’m here for the next two months.

So my host family is wonderful, I have a mother named, Elbia, a father named, Lionel and two brothers named, Maverick and Edric. On Saturday morning Elbia and I went to San Ignacio (Cayo) to shop at the market for fruits and veggies and I attempted to buy another DigiCell phone but no luck. FYI, I have a new one now! Then in the afternoon, we went to Lionel, grandmothers’ birthday party at a relative’s home. Homemade flour tortillas, coleslaw, and bar-b-que chicken! Really, really good food!! Then, my family and I went down to the river to go swimming to cool off because it is very humid here but it is bearable. The next couple months are the hottest months in Belize so wish me luck!! J Saturday was a busy day….Its Sunday morning now and I’m here in my room relaxing and going to go back into San Ignacio with Elvia for some other items. Then later today meet up with the four other trainees in Succotz, who are, Hana, Chris, Roy and Linda. And tomorrow we start our 8 week training of Spanish lessons with our LCF trainer and technical trainer all day from 8-5. Can’t wait should be fun!!
Training has been going well; Spanish classes are fun and a lot cooler because they are in the morning. Then at lunch time I walk home for lunch and then head back to our little room of a school for technical training. And while we are here in Succotz, the five of us are going to put together teaching lessons/plans on health for the school here in Succotz and put together a Health Fair for the community. Every Friday we go back into Belmopan and gather with the rest of the 38 trainees for Core training and talk about how our transition is going, our village and how our projects are faring. I hope you all are well! J Miss you all and love you…talk to you soon! J

3 comments:

  1. You sound happy & fulfilled. Keep up the hard work and absorb the culture and all that it offers. Everyone here asks about you and wishes their best. BTW UConn won NCAA and the Lakers have lost 3 in a row!! ManU beat Chelsea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are enjoying your time there!!! Your family sounds cool and welcoming. I've been taking Spanish classes too so we'll have to write to each other in Spanish to practice!! Miss you, stay safe and when you have an address let me know so I can send you goodies! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nat! Greetings from boring ole Northern Virginia! Haha! I am reading your blog as if it's from a movie. Everything sounds so amazing and authentic. Missing you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete